Negros Occidental, Philippines
About our Province
Negros Island was originally called “Buglas” – an old native word which means “cut off”. It is believed that Negros was once part of a greater land mass but was cut off either by a continental drift or by the rising waters during the so-called glacial age period. Among its earliest inhabitants were the dark-skinned natives called Negritos. Thus the Spaniards called the island “Negros” after the black natives whom they first saw as they came to the island in April 1565.
During the last decade of the 18th century, several important events happened in the history of Negros Occidental. One of which was the making of Negros Occidental as a separate province from Negros Oriental in the year 1890. The other one was when the Negrense revolutionary leaders joined the nationwide Katipunan Movement and overcame the Spanish garrison in the province in November 1898. This was when the Filipinos rose in arms against the Spanish rule. Following this was the arrival of the Americans in the province in May 1899. In 20 April 1901, a civil government was established in Negros Occidental.